[Techtalk] Qmail urgent!

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Dec 3 10:33:17 EST 2001

Marcia,

It depends on what you define as "hard to do" ;).  Selective relaying
with qmail is (IMHO) a little tricky; you have to use the tcpserver
package.   The reason for this, if I remember right, is that qmail
itself doesn't really handle selective relaying; it either relays or
doesn't.  So you have to call each instance of the server explicitly
telling it via environment variables whether it can relay or not for
that particular situation.  Again, this is what tcpserver is for (did I
get that right everyone?  Think so...).

One thing I loved about qmail though; I found the documentation to be
REALLY helpful.  They explain much better than I do.  Check out the
following link to just get your problem resolved ASAP:

http://www.palomine.net/qmail/selectiverelay.html

Also, though, if you haven't, look through Life with Qmail
(http://www.lifewithqmail.org/).  It's the documentation for qmail.
Their section on relaying
(http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#relaying) would also help some,
but the one mentioned above is more complete.

Good luck!  I apologize for the RTFM-like posting, but it's really much
better explained in the documentation I pointed you to than I myself
could attempt.

-Brian