[Techtalk] Re: Sndconfig

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Aug 25 13:56:25 EST 2001

Telsa Gwynne writes:
> I don't know what italics mean in the file viewer. I wonder, though,
> whether you're trying to run it as a normal user:
> ERROR - You must be root to run sndconfig.
> You don't need to run either GNOME or KDE as root to do this.

Another thing: At least in Redhat 7.0 (I haven't run sndconfig in 7.1),
sndconfig always started out with stern warnings that running from X
was a bad idea and it was better to quit X and run from the console.

But it doesn't sound like that's what you're seeing --
"no such file" is pretty specific.  On my RH 7.1 system,
/usr/sbin/sndconfig is a symlink to ../../sbin/sndconfig,
so the real executable is at /sbin/sndconfig.  Do you have
an executable there in /sbin?  What happens if you run that one?

--
	...Akkana       http://www.shallowsky.com