[Techtalk] Streaming MP3s from a webserver?

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Fri Aug 24 12:43:08 EST 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:26:19PM -0400, Jennifer Davis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was experimenting with working with PHP and SQL before I take on the
> project of writing a database for a friend's organisation so being the
> geek I am, I practiced on about the only thing I cared to organise, my cd
> collection.  Now, after all this work, I had a brilliant idea.	Because
> the PHP generated pages are just plain html, I was wondering if there were
> any tools out there that would allow me to have somewhere on my server a
> way to stream an mp3 (or other format?).  I figure I would convert the
> last of my cds to mp3 and just have the php generate links to it.  I just
> don't know how to make it stream.

Check out www.IceCast.org. It's schweet. I keep an icecast stream
running in FreeAmp all the time.

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org
Washington DC Protests http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca

Hey, is it the tradition here to give Bill the finger when you go through
these doors?
	--Open Source advocate Richard Stallman
	  to a student outside Stanford's Bill Gates Building