[techtalk] bad display name in "add" command - Solved

Jennifer Hamilton jhamilto at N2H2.com
Wed Aug 1 16:59:49 EST 2001

Almut Behrens wrote:
> I guess that there's some problem with resolving the short hostname
> "cvstest" on the remote server (does "nslookup cvstest" work?).
> Could also be something else, though...

In fact, nslookup does not work for 'cvstest' because it is set up under
a sub domain and our DNS server will not resolve the name without the
sub domain (firewall stuff). DNS will resolve 'cvstest.ops', but not
'cvstest'. Since the output from creating the ~/.ssh/rc file (thanks!)
had cvstest, I figured the box must be getting it's own hostname
information from files instead of DNS (b/c of how nsswitch.conf is
configured). That made me look at the /etc/hosts file. There, I found
the incorrect entry for cvstest (it's a new box, so I forgot to change
the info there. oops).

Thanks!
Jen