[techtalk] bad display name in "add" command

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Wed Aug 1 01:27:54 EST 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:11:27AM -0700, Jennifer Hamilton wrote:
> Thanks for the response! I had done that, but it wasn't too helpful
> since I think it's a problem with X, not with cvs. Here's the output
> with the -t option:
>
> [cvsuser at attila test_module]$ cvs -t update -A
> cvs update: notice: main loop with
> CVSROOT=:ext:jhamilto at cvstest.ops.n2h2.com:/cvsroot
>  -> Starting server: ssh cvstest.ops.n2h2.com -l jhamilto cvs server
> jhamilto at cvstest.ops.n2h2.com's password:
> /usr/bin/X11/xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "cvstest:10.0" in "add"
> command
[...snip...]

OK, I think I know what's going on here now -- I wasn't reading the full
message earlier, so it took a while for the fog to clear:

You are using ssh to connect to the remote cvs server (good!). It is
trying to do X11 forwarding over this connection and the remote machine
is having trouble authorizing you (for whatever reason -- it would be
that your original machine is behind a masqueraded connection and the
remote machine has really strict checking or whatever; it doesn't
matter).

The way to fix this is to disable X11 forwarding over the connection. So
in you $HOME/.ssh/config file, make sure you have a section like this:

	Host cvstest.ops.n2h2.com
	ForwardX11 no

If I'm not too badly mistaken, that should solve your problem.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
The hardness of butter is directly proportional to the softness of the bread.