[techtalk] Mandrake install problems

A Kozic ak38 at drexel.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:38:17 EST 2001

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Mandi wrote:

> XFree86-4 has a new configuration script, Xconfigurator
>
> Try running that.

Damn. I should have know that. I used that with Red Hat. That runs, but I
can't seem to give it a configuration that works. I still get the black
screen.

> Which package of Mandrake did you get?  I stumbled across a "Desktop"
> version and absolutely hated it; I installed a full version of mdk 8 a
> week later.

I have 7.2 "Complete". The retail box that goes for ~$30.

> Change the 5 to a 3, and the machine will boot right to text console.

Yup, that works, but X still doesn't start. I do startx, and terminal 7
goes black. Terminal 1 scrolls a bunch of setting up messages and never
returns to a prompt.

*sigh* I've got schoolwork to do. I shouldn't be screwing with this now,
but I can't help it. I'll have to poke around in Xconfigurator more
tonight.

-- Avery

     A Kozic        | "You know, I've been wondering
  ak38 at drexel.edu   |     all evening... *blush*
akozic at hushmail.com |  Do you have indoor plumbing?"