[techtalk] Audio tape to CD

WolfRyder wolfryder at uswest.net
Sat Apr 28 20:24:37 EST 2001

At 07:14 PM 4/28/01 +0000, Subba Rao wrote:
>On  0, WolfRyder <wolfryder at uswest.net> wrote:
> > Hey Subba,
> >
> > Record them as either MP3s or .wavs. If you record them as .wavs, when you
> > record them to CD you can use them on any CD Player that plays music CDs.
> > MP3s will require a player program that can translate them Like
> MusicMatch,
> > which I understand has come out with a Linux version.
> >

> > >I have a CD burner on a linux system. I use the cdrecord tools to backup
> > >mainly
> > >data. There are several audio tapes that I would like to burn them on
> to CD
> > >and listen to them through the CD player.
> > >
> > >Has anyone transferred music from audio tapes or the old records, to some
> > >audio format which we can listen from the CD? I have several old
> records too
> > >which I would like to see them on the CDROM (that reminds me how old I
> > >am..:-)).
> > >

>Thanks Carol. Do the current music CDs have .wav format? I have never tried
>to mount an audio CD yet.
>--

Subba,
No, music CDs aren't  in .wav format. That's just the easiest way to get
from vinyl to CD. My husband has successfully recorded music into .wavs
then burned them to CD to play in his CD player in his truck. You can't get
as many .wav files on a CD as MP3s, however, so he just bought a portable
MP3 player for the truck so he can play them through the system in the truck.

With the right software you can listen to either MP3s or regular music CDs
on your CD player. If all you want is something to listen to at home on
your puter, then you can burn MP3s and get MusicMatch or some other program
that will play MP3s. If you want something you can put on your stereo
system or play in your car, you'll need to make .wav files and burn those.
The alternative is to buy a portable MP3 player like my husband did, but
they're pretty expensive.

The CD drive is the same regardless of playing audio or accessing data.
It's the software in between that makes the difference. My 1st Sound
Blaster didn't like the version of Linux I originally tried so I bought a
new sound card. It beat the headache of not getting the darned thing to
work despite all the "fixes" I tried.

Good luck on your install!

Carol