[techtalk] Minor ln -s question

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sun Apr 22 22:19:43 EST 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 08:01:06PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Caitlin thought:

> You may need to check the web server's configuration. Unless the
> FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch options
> have been selected the server will not follow a symlink out of the
> designated web doc location, "/var/www/shag" in
> your example. I believe the server will notice that it's a symlink
> before it notices that it points somewhere else that it is
> allowed access to.

Though, I think (or maybe that's samba) it will only not follow symlinks
if they point outside the defined area.

Conor. (who was going to try to punctuate the above a bit better but then
decided it would be much more fun to type this long sentence explaining
why he didn't do the bit of calrifying punctuation and anyhow, it's an
interesting intellectual exercise to try and figure out what I was saying
in the first place)  :-)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
  9:52pm  up 7 days,  8:07,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Hobbiton.cod.ie
 10:16pm  up 54 days,  7:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.01, 0.00