[techtalk] NAT, Routing, or something else?

Angela Nash Chick at the-nashes.net
Mon Apr 23 00:33:26 EST 2001

The problem here is you were assigned one subnet, but you need two.  You
need one between the router and the firewall, and then another behind the
firewall.  To get around this, assign a private address space to the link
between the router and the firewall.  Use something like 10.x.x.x.  Then use
the real subnet behind your firewall.  Make sure the Cisco 678 has a static
route set up so that it knows your real subnet needs to go through the
firewall (since it's a router too).

On the firewall just enable IP forwarding and set its default route to the
Cisco.  The only quirk with this setup is that an interface with a 10.x.x.x
address won't be able to access the net....so you won't be able to get out
to the Internet from your firewall.  But, people won't be able to ssh/telnet
right to the firewall either, since it is sort of hidden.

Jason