[techtalk] cross compilers?

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Apr 20 10:17:02 EST 2001

Michelle Murrain writes:
> So I'm confused. It's my understanding that gcc does indeed compile C++ code.
> So why does this configure say it doesn't?

It does, but the C++ support in gcc is a separate package.
You want the cpp and gcc-c++ packages with version numbers
corresponding to the version of gcc you have.
E.g. on my system (RH 7) right now, I have:
  gcc-2.96-69
  gcc-c++-2.96-69
  cpp-2.96-69

That cpp package may be a Redhat-specific thing; if your distribution
doesn't have it, you're probably okay with just gcc-c++.  The cpp
RPM installs
  /lib/cpp
  /usr/bin/cpp
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/cpp0
  /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/tradcpp0
plus some documentation.  gcc-c++ is the RPM that installs g++.

--
	...Akkana       http://www.shallowsky.com