FW: [techtalk] Redhat Linux 7 Crashes

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Apr 14 13:03:21 EST 2001

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 12:31:51AM -0700, Lothan wrote:
> I didn't see anything in the system log that might help trace the problem.
> The first hiccup was a complaint that the file system was not unmounted
> cleanly (which seems appropriate considering the file system was reported
> 'busy' during shutdown) followed by a long list of errors from fsck
> complaining about dead inodes, invalid timestamps, etc. This was followed by
> a list of missing devices, drivers and modules. Based on the symptoms I've
> seen, my gut reaction was a hardware problem and I initially replaced the
> NIC since the symptoms were always preceded by a loss of all network
> connections. It happens every two to three weeks, but I could never
> duplicate it with Redhat Linux 6.1 or Windows 2000.
>
> I'm beginning to suspect it may be something in Redhat Linux 7.0 because we
> just lost the email server with a similar crash after updating it a few
> weeks ago. I just finished installing Progeny Debian Linux at home so we'll
> see if it holds together any better.

I saw *exactly* the same situation a couple of months ago, and
eventually traced it to bad RAM. Yeah, I know that doesn't seem to
make much sense, but replacing the bad stick fixed me up.

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Go away! Stop bothering me with all your "compute this ... compute that"!
I'm taking a VAX-NAP.

logout