[techtalk] Almost arrested for using telnet

Eva Fenrich eva at faveve.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Apr 12 11:11:34 EST 2001

Hi!
On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:05:09PM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> As a practical suggestion for the future, there is a way to have a
> java client sitting on a machine which gives you a terminal prompt.
> You can set it up, then browse from another machine, point the
> browser at the java client, acquire a terminal window (using ssh),
> and it's all done in a browser, without the need for a floppy. If
> they ask, you can demonstrate it's "part of the website, look!"
>
> I don't use Java, so I don't remember the name of this, of course,
> but I am assured it can be done. I bet someone here knows what it is :)
We use mindterm to have ssh access via a web-page to our server...
mindterm does not work too good but if you only need to check mail
or change some small files it's convenient...
I use this if I'm not allowed to use/install my own programs on a
machine eg. in internet cafes (on vacation), but if I'm allowed to
reboot the machine I use a system on a small CD (cheque card-size)
to connect to our server....

Regards, Eva
Eva Fenrich
Fachschaft Umweltschutztechnik