[techtalk] why debian essay..

Kath ranger at optonline.net
Wed Apr 11 11:25:04 EST 2001

Good essay.

But I think the real problem with Debian becoming a real mainstream and
widely recognized distribution is that it is harder to get many peripherals
working on it, while Mandrake, Red Hat and Corel make it super easy.

Mainly what I'm talking about is USB mouse support and SB Live (emu10k1)
support.  Yes I know you can recompile the kernel and etc to get it to work,
but for newbies, sometimes that is too much.  Especially when you can just
pop in the Mandrake 7.2 CD, install and everything works.

Myself, I've sat for hours with people on OPN in #linuxhelp and #debian
trying to get the aforementioned peripherals (USB mouse and SB Live) to
work.  I finally just gave up on it and decided to use Mandrake as a
desktop.

I still absolutely ADORE Debian as a server.  Its package management
software allows easy installs (apt-get install apache and you're done with a
web server.  No icky compiling) and also easy updates of packages (I should
really make apt-get upgrade from security.debian.org a cron job).

Okay, rant machine off.

- Kath, the raving lunatic