[techtalk] Best programmer's editor for Linux

Michelle Murrain mpm at norwottuck.com
Wed Apr 11 10:29:54 EST 2001

Hi folks,

First, thanks for the help with registering DNS servers. I think that with
this knowledge, I'll be all set.

Another question: What, in your opinon, is the best open-source programmer's
editor for linux? I know that many will answer emacs, and that's certainly a
good possibility - but I'm looking for the following:

color coding, particularly for perl, java and html/xml (and even SQL, if
possible)
paren checking, tag checking
easy access to line numbers and line number jumping

I might be asking for too much in one editor - I could use an html/xml editor
separate from a programming editor.

A related question: I've actually never used an IDE - like JBuilder, for
example. Do those of you who program alot find those useful? In what ways?

Thanks!!

Michelle
--
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.