[techtalk] problems with new X

Eric Baudais drake at x8b4e5002.dhcp.okstate.edu
Mon Sep 18 07:46:56 EST 2000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 01:07:46PM -0400, Lyric . wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some problems with the new XFree86 4.0.1 that I just installed.
> The install went off without a single hitch and produced no errors
> whatsoever, but unfortunately I have another problem.

Usually a good sign.

> Whenever I start X it produces no error messages, but starts up with a white
> screen and three Xterms.
>
> I was using Gnome with Sawmill, and I would like to continue using it but
> need to know if I have to reinstall Gnome to do it

I would backup the session file in your .gnome directory.  Then erase the session
file.  GNOME should automatically regenerate the session file with the defaults.
If this doesn't work, you could try erasing the file in sessions dir. in the
.sawfish dir.

If all else fails reinstall gnome.  Hope this helps.

Eric Baudais