[techtalk] Serial line is looped back

Helena A. Verrill verrill at math.ku.dk
Fri Sep 15 13:37:25 EST 2000

> If you could post your kppp settings that might be helpful, but you might want
> to try another approach.  If I remember right your are running Red Hat

you mean things like: Modem Devicee: /dev/ttyS0
                      Flow Control: CRTSCTS
                      Line Termination: CR/LF
                      Connection Speed 57600
and that it's PAP authentification?  Or more info as well?

> 6.something.  Have you tried to configure ppp0 using netcfg?  If not, you

Yes, I tried that a little, and also tried using minicom.  I was following
instructions in my 'linux unleased' book, but things were not going quite
as they should, but I may have not been doing it right.  I also tried
adding it to the network configurator in the 'interfaces' part, and
clicking 'activate' - well, it did dial, but I didn't get any further than
that, and so I deleted the entry for ppp0.

> might want to try that.  Go to the interfaces tab and see if it already finds
> ppp0.  If not, add it and go through all the settings manually.  If it is
> there, check all the settings and make sure they make sense for your system.
> i.e.: is the modem set to the right device?

I'm a bit confused about the modem setting, but I did get it to work
again with kernel 2.2.14-5.0.  Actually, I just deleted all
the new settings for when I'm using LAN, and also created an 'options'
file, following ppp-howto instructions (not clear to me this makes any
difference whether it exists or not).  The only place where there is any
reference to anything for connecting to the internet that has to do with
my modem and ISP is in the "name server" part of the names part of the
network configurator.  If I add ppp0 in the Routing section it doesn't
make much difference, except I get the error message about ppp0 device not
found.   (to connect back to the lan at work I have to go through and
reconfigure the network configurator again - I hope I don't have to
do this every day!)

Since it is working in 2.2.14-5.0, my suspicion is that I configured
the kernel wrongly when I installed 2.3.99-pre3.  So I had another
go at configuring and reinstalling it.  But the modem and the cdrom
still don't work.  So now I'm back in 2.2.14-5.0.  I'll have another
go at reconfiguring and reinstalling 2.3.99-pre3 later.

Thanks for your help,
Helena