[techtalk] Serial line is looped back

Olivier Tharan olive at minet.net
Wed Sep 13 22:37:44 EST 2000

Le 13 septembre 2000 a 17:55, Helena A. Verrill a écrit :
> I seem to have a problem with my laptop's modem (which is
> a 3com PCMCIA card LAN/modem) I only got this problem after
> upgrading to 2.3.99-pre3, and since I started

-From seeing your problems, I'd say: have you read the
Documentation/Changes file from the kernel sources? You have to upgrade
the PPP daemon (pppd 2.4.0b1), add a line to /etc/fstab to mount the
virtual shm filesystem

When upgrading to a major version of the kernel, you should have a look
at the Changes file, as it can be very helpful!

> I looked this up in the PPP-how to, but what it says there seems to

Perhaps the HOWTO is not up-to-date with the latest kernels.

> also in /var/log/messages I have a message:
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-22

This relates to the second IDE interface (hdc/hdd).

olive
--
		Olivier Tharan, <olive at minet.net>

While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in Quake,
it can lead to problems if attempted at work.