[techtalk] package conflicts

caitlyn at netferrets.net caitlyn at netferrets.net
Mon Sep 11 15:44:32 EST 2000

Hi, Helena,

> Hello, I am wondering what one is supposed to do with
> 'package conflicts'?

That depends on what is conflicting.  Some need to be taken very seriously,
since forcing the RPM install will break things.  OTOH, some aren't serious at
all...

> I tried installing real player, under kde on linux
> running 2.3.99-pre3, by typing:
>  rpm -i rp7.linux20.libc6.i386.cs1.rpm
>
> and it says:
> file
> /usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-wav.kdelnk from install of RealPlayer-7.0-7
> conflicts with file from package kdebase-1.1.2-33

.kdelnk is a KDE Link file, used by menus and KFM/Konqueror.  It is not
critical in any way.  At worst, you'll lose a menu entry.

> I know I can get round this by using --force but I'm not sure
> whether there are any bad effects of doing that - is there any
> way I can find out, or how should I install it otherwise?

In the case or a kdelnk file you should be able to go ahead and force it.  If
you're using kpackage, uncheck "check dependencies" and it will go in.  I
sincerely doubt you'll break anything.

Are you running the Caldera Linux Technology Preview (Caldera OpenLinux 3.0
eDesktop alpha)?  I noticed that you're running prerelease 3 of the kernel,
which is what that shipped with.  If so, how well does it all work?

Also, assuming you are running LTP: Have you upgraded your KDE2 to 1.93
(Kooldown)?  If not, do it!  It fixes worlds of bugs and does a whole lot more
than 1.91, and there are LTP RPMs on the KDE FTP site.  Also, have you found
any bugs in the pre3 kernel?  Have you thought about going to pre7?

Curious,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin
caitlyn at netferrets.net