[techtalk] serial port...how to move modem?

K. Ziel zoop at scc.net
Thu Sep 7 23:19:54 EST 2000

Hello...

So, my issue tonight is that I'm trying to configure my linux box to let me
hotsync my palmpilot.

I tried to use ttyS0, but it said it was busy, and that's when i remember <DUH>
it must be the modem.  So I tried ttyS1, and it just sat there and could not
form a connection with cradle.  At this point, I thought I would be brilliant
and just reconfigure the modem to use the other serial port so that I wouldn't
have to go in and change my hardware...<so much for brilliance!>

If I look in my ppp settings, my modem is designated as /dev/modem which is a
link to /dev/ttyS0, so I changed that to point to /dev/ttyS1, and it couldn't
communicate with my modem any longer.

Where do I need to go to change what port the modem is using, or how do I
configure the ttyS1 port to be able to be used by the modem?

I looked in older techtalk messages, and I saw the setserial command, but that
doesn't seem to be what I'd need to actually point the modem to a newlocation,
and I also checked my dmesg output for what ports were being configured for
which IRQs, and I got the following output which seems to be fairly standard :
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Oh,and I've got a ps/2 mouse, so that shouldn't be using another comm port.

Any help <direction> is appreciated...

Kristin