[techtalk] Looks like I goofed

arussello arussello at quickclic.net
Fri Sep 8 03:28:46 EST 2000

Alright, I kinda messed up.

I just installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 on a brand new computer I just
assembled, that all went fine.  Unfortunately, Mandrake installs something
called grub, which I guessed allowed me to select different partitions to
boot into.  I extremely disliked grub.

So I tried to remove all of the options but the Linux partition to boot
to.  No problem there.  But when I rebooted, Grub still came up.

So,  then I figured I would just remove The Linux partition from the grub
booter as well,  thinking that if there was only one partition, then no
problem.  Problem.

The first reboot my system came up with a line that just read "grub>" and
expected me to enter something I don't know.  So I rebooted with my Linux
boot disk in the floppy drive, and it booted fine,  no grub either,  just
right into Lilo.  I tried to repair Lilo, since my /boot drive is hda1 and
the / drive is hda5 I told Lilo to boot right into hda5.  Which I assume
is right.

Now the system boots, but then cackstrying to load init.  I comes up with
a kernel panic saying that the init argument can't be found (I think that
was the error message.  Now I can only boot this Linux machine with my
bootdisk, which I extremely dislike.

The basic moral of this story is live with grub, it's not doing any harm.

The basic question I have is how do I make this work again?

Thanks