[techtalk] Finding out the library versions

Beverly Guillermo mezanin at home.com
Sat Sep 2 21:06:28 EST 2000

Hi,

In my experience, since I used slackware, you can find the versions by
changing to the directory of the library and doing an ls -l libxml.*

Here's the output I get on my system:

root at malkav:/usr/lib# ls -l libxml*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       374538 May 30 00:56 libxml.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          634 May 30 00:56 libxml.la
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jun 15 03:29 libxml.so -> libxml.so.1.8.7
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jun 15 03:29 libxml.so.1 -> libxml.so.1.8.7
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       374902 May 30 00:56 libxml.so.1.8.7

The trailing numbers give me the version for the library.  I hope that
this helps.

Beverly