[techtalk] Finding out the library versions

eito at cs.pdx.edu eito at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Sep 2 06:01:33 EST 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 06:52:54AM +0000, Subba Rao wrote:
> I know the solution you are suggesting. I should have been a little more
> precise in what I am looking for. What about files like libvga.a or
> libxml.a, which do not have any links or version numbers in it? How are
> these library versions determined/guessed?

Hi,

Have you looked at include files? If you are not sure which include
files to look for, you can take a look at library files with string,
and look at man page or use 'find' to find include files.

I don't know what Linux disto (or else?) you are using. But, if you
used rpm or dpkg to install those libraries, there should be
descriptions of those packages in /var somewhere. You can try to
look for those files.

HTH,

:eito