[techtalk] building a new linux mahine

Lyric . lyric340 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:28:06 EST 2000

Hey everybody,

I'm relatively new to Linux, ut I've found I've been able to pick up what I
need fairly quickly.  My problem today is that I plan to buy parts and build
a new machine strictly for Linux.  I just want to make sure that everything
will work by asking whther or not any of you have similar configurations.

First off,  I'll be putting together an AMD Duron socket A system using a
gigabyte board with a via KT133 chipset.  The next item is an Asus PCI SCSI
card (using a symbios chipset) hooked to 2 seagate 4.3 GB SCSI drives.
There will be an IDE CD-ROM drive (for installing the system mainly) and a
floppy drive.  It'll probably have 64 Meg of RAM,  since that's what I have
spare lying around.

If you could let me know if you foresee any problems with this,  I would
greatly appreciate it.  I plan to install either Mandrake 7.1 or Debian 2.2
(most likely mandrake though).

Thanks a lot everybody, so far you've all been really helpful.

Anthony