[techtalk] second hard disk

Helena Verrill verrill at math.ku.dk
Fri Sep 1 13:14:17 EST 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Conor Daly wrote:

> We'll take /home as an example.

Thanks, an example is really helpful.
I followed this, repartitioned a bit, moved home and usr,
and upgraded to 6.2.14-5.0 last night; all seemed to go
pretty well.
I guess it's all pretty straight forwards, but it's
reassuring to have some advice.
I'd been a bit nervous about copying and deleting everything
in the home and usr.

A couple of remarks:
--my second hard drive is hdc - most examples assume it's
hdb - when I first got it I was a bit confused until I
found out what it was called by looking in /var/log/messages
--Also, I found that if I'd prefer to edit /etc/fstab with
emacs rather than vi, I should have edited it before deleting
all the old usr (because emacs needed something in usr that
wasn't there anymore, and I couldn't mount the new usr the old
one said it was still in use)  But, this was OK, just I should
have thought of it before.

Also, I'm still a bit nervous about having huge partitions.
I made a 6GB one for home, and a 4GB one for usr.  There are
a few other paritions that are just unused and unmounted.
Now on the old disk, hda6 and hda7 are unused and unmounted,
since they were the old usr and home - should I/can I just
lump them together with the root parition on that disk,
e.g. moving all root to hdc, then reparitioning hda, then moving
root back to hda - will this work?

Also, it is reasonable to have a partition just mounted as some
subdirectory of /home/helena/  eg, I could have a parition just
for all the images I download from my digital camera, or for an
image of all my web stuff copied from the server that lives on.

Also, when I upgraded, I seem to not be able to use kde, it
only lets me run gnome, and says some file is missing for using
kde... I guess I will work this out later.  Gnome is not so bad.

I've not yet sorted out the windows thing; I'll get to that later.

Thanks for the help,
Helena