[techtalk] New RH system

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Tue May 30 07:23:32 EST 2000

> >My question:  What would you folks recommend for an "ideal" server.  My boss
> >wants me to use a dual-processor motherboard and it looks like that will
> >have to be the BP6.
>
> Hmm. I would *really* shy away from the BP6 if I was you. Some of them seem
> to work fine but other people have *major* problems getting them to be stable.

I really hate to say this, but: it depends on volume. I run a small
web/mail/ftp/IRC server on Dancer's and my leftover parts - the box has its
own hard drives, but gets our old CPUs and RAM and motherboards as we
outgrow them.
(The last upgrade was Dancer's, so he could run Ultima IX, to put things
into perspective.)

This box runs about six lists, for an average of eighty or so people with
about ten-thirty messages/day. So it's probably nowhere near good enough
for a commercial system, but definately enough for amateur.

Does that help at all?

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn