[techtalk] error initializing modem

Elizabeth Fallon takotank at hotmail.com
Sat May 27 12:52:00 EST 2000

Ok, I set up everything for my internet connection.  Perfect.  But now...the
modem won't initialize.

When I try to use wvdial, it spits out:

-->Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error

Not very helpful at first...but then with minicom, when I press M (to
initialize modem),  it says "You are online."  Woah.  Ok, so then I choose
H, for hangup.  It hangs up the line, but then it immediately opens it
again.  In the lower righthand corner, where it -should- say "Offline"
there's a timer, which says "Online 00:00", and stays like that.

So what's going on, and how do I fix it?

Elizabeth