[techtalk] timing out an inactive user

gabrielle gab at gorge.net
Sat May 27 11:06:28 EST 2000

I have a question for which I've not been able to find the answer.  I'd like
to kick users off my linux box after they've been inactive for a certain
period of time.

On Solaris, the following lines are in /etc/default/login:
# TIMEOUT sets the number of seconds (between 0 and 900) to wait before
# abandoning a login session.
#
TIMEOUT=300

On my linux box (RedHat 5.2) I looked in /etc/login.defs, but didn't find
any leads, and couldn't find anything in the man page for "login".  The
format's a little different from Solaris so I'm a little nervous about just
sticking a line in there willy-nilly.  I looked in the HOWTOs, and I can't
find anything about it either.  Maybe I'm looking under the wrong heading?

gabrielle
gabrielle
gab at gorge.net