[techtalk] Security techniques ( Redhat 6.2 question)

Beverly Guillermo mezanin at home.com
Tue May 23 20:58:12 EST 2000

> I have been reading up security issues, but what I installed doesn't
> even have the /etc/inetd.conf file. If I am reading  this correctly,

What did you install?  Or better yet, what type of services do you
want available remotely or via network?

Here's what I did for general all purpose security:

Look into the manuals for host.allow and host.deny and ipchains
for firewall issues.  However trying to figure out the rules for ipchains
is not for the faint (??) of heart.  heh.

Set up a nice set of ipchains rules (such as the ones that tell you
about any TCP SYN scans and DENY unused ports (or just
set the default policy to DENY for extreme measures).

Set up logcheck properly.

And then wait for the huge email to root when someone tries
to port scan you.

I don't use automated software that can close ports, it
will cause a DoS and I don't want to be shut out of my own
system.  I really haven't heard of any good automated security
measures.  Has anyone else?

Beverly