[techtalk] New RH system...Cobalt

Stephanie Alarcon beleza at bci-bluestone.com
Mon May 22 16:26:53 EST 2000

actually, over here we're using Cobalt servers (www.cobalt.com).  the
inital setup is really easy, just punch in an ip adress, netmask, and
couple other things on the lcd display on the front of the thing, and the
rest of the administration is done through a web interface.  they are
bright translucent blue, monitorless linux boxes designed to simplify web
and email server setup by putting all major administration tools behind a
fairly friendly passworded web interface, but you can still telnet/ssh to
the command prompt and tool around in there.

btw, they are really cute and a stack of the rack mounts looks very snazzy
and hip in the server room.

unfortunatley, I'm having trouble getting mail to work on one of them,
although all the webservers have worked pretty much immediately.  Oh, and
we had one that wouldnt' boot, but that's the first hardware problem
we've seen after ordering 7 of them, including one that is acting as a
firewall for my boss's home cable modem setup.  i'll let you know if
there's some big secret to setting up the mail stuff (the goal is secure
imap...but first we wanted to try secure pop and can't see a whole slew of
services...have a call into cobalt)