[techtalk] setting up a network.

Deepa Karnad deepakar at blr.vsnl.net.in
Fri May 19 00:53:54 EST 2000

Oh yessss
This is a lot of help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Snarfblat <coderman at mindspring.com>
To: Deepa Karnad <deepakar at blr.vsnl.net.in>
Date: Thursday, May 18, 2000 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: [techtalk] setting up a network.

>I may be able to help with some of the problems.. (try to at
>least)
>I am assuming that you will be using two serial ports on each box
>then?
>Or one serial port for each client machine into your router
>project machine?

I'm infact using 2 serial ports on each box.

<snip>.  Basically
>when you configure the serial interface, slip0 for example, you
>will tell it
>the serial port and configuration settings to use.  Then you can
>use the above
>mentioned ifconfig command to activate and deactivate the
>interface.
>
>Also, you may need to double check your kernel configuration.
>SLIP and PLIP require
>specific kernel modules or drivers to be present.  If you dont
>have these, it will
>not work.

Okay. So I first configure serial port. Then use ifconfig to set up link. I
had read up an HOW-TO on Ethernet networking where there was a small part
talking on null modem link. There it said, I first run getty from one box
and check if link is up and working. Then I come out of getty and run pppd
on both machines. ( I'm using PPP and I think the ppp modules are installed.
Any way to check that?)
This should explain why I enquired about getty. So, how are these two
methods of obtaining a link different? In the end, all I want to do is route
between 3 hosts using 3 links.

<snip>
Deepa.