[techtalk] network configuring

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 18 12:32:10 EST 2000

(please don't use html mail.)

Excerpts from linuxchix: 18-May-100 [techtalk] network configuring"Deepa
Karnad"@blr.vsnl. (1539*) by
> One basic question. How can an IP address be assigned to a host?=20
> Tried many ways including Lisa. Could not figure out.=20
> I understand that there should be some way of accomplishing this. How =
> else does a host know if the destination of a certain arrived packet is =
> itself?=20

In unix, the IP address is generally assigned to the interface (such as
(for linux) eth0 for an ethernet card or ppp0 for a ppp connection) with
ifconfig.  ie, you tell it and then it knows.  If you use dhcp, ppp, or
a higher level configuration tool, something else might be doing this for
you.

You don't specify what OS or distribution you're trying to do this for,
and I have no idea what Lisa is, so unfortunately I can't help you with
your specific problem.