[techtalk] laptops

Saska saska at noogie.com
Mon May 15 11:36:05 EST 2000

Helena,

I do know that the Sony Vaios can be loaded with Linux without a hitch.
I know several people who dual-boot their Vaios in Win98 and Linux (both
Debian and RedHat).  I also recently purchased a Dell Latitude from
their refurbished stock that's a real screamer for the $2200 and runs
RedHat 6.2 successfully.

If you don't need sound and serial support (just need application
support) you might look at Win4Lin (www.trelos.com) as a way to run
Windows apps with full commercial support, without having to dual-boot.
I won't get into a holy war about the virtues of WINE vs. other
solutions, but I personally use Win4Lin so that I can maintain all of my
files on my Linux filesystem and have access to them even when I'm not
running the Windoze emulator. :)  Since it just runs a shell with Win95
or Win98, I don't have to worry about porting individual apps or running
them each in their own memory space.  (I'm running Outlook Express in
RedHat right now, as a matter of fact.)

-Saska

From: Helena Verrill <verrill at math.ku.dk>