[techtalk] stuck with TCP/IP, win98 and linux

Emily the visible ecartier at crosswinds.net
Sun May 14 09:07:32 EST 2000

Finally, after months of effort (ok, so I was working and battling my
budget and occasionally sick... oh yeah, and dad upgraded and had to
send the new machine back at least once), I've got my network card
working correctly, Dad's network card theoretically working, and the hub
turned on plugged in and hooked to the cards.

My box can ping itself. It tries to send out pings and makes its light
on the hub blink. I dunno if windows boxen can ping themselves, and when
it tries to send out a ping it doesn't make its light on the hub blink.

Therefore, I'm concluding that the windows box isn't configured
correctly. I don't have good references for windows boxes and tcp/ip
(ok, so I don't have *any*). So... if you have a good reference, paper
or webbed, please pass it on to me.

Emily (who is wondering why it is she's sitting here thinking that at
least if Dad's box was running linux she would have the documentation
she needed...)