[techtalk] newbie trying to install gnomeICU

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu May 11 09:13:40 EST 2000

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 08:55:07PM -0700 or thereabouts, Julia Coolman wrote:
> Kind folks:
>
> You helped me figure out some dhcp stuff a few weeks ago. could you help
> me decipher some messages when i'm trying to turn a tarball into an rpm
> now?
>
> after i enter "rpm -tb gnomeicu-0.93.ppc.rpm", it goes about checking
> things. i know i didn't have some things installed earlier that it wanted,
> and i found and installed most of them. now it runs down that list
> checking things until it says:
>
> In file included from common.h:542,
> 		 from applet.c::8:
> applet.h:5: applet-widget.h: No such file or directory
> applet.c:13: applet-widget.h: No such file or directory
>
> Well, it says some other things, too, but i'm not sure if they're
> pertinent. All i know is i seem to be missing a header file or two, and
> i'm not sure where to go looking.
>
> What's ya'll's more educated opinion?

Oooh! I know this one!

$ rpm -qf /usr/include/applet-widget.h
gnome-core-devel-1.1.8.1-1

You need gnome-core-devel. (You may also need gnome-libs-devel and
some other devel packages. I am not sure. I haven't used gnomeicu.)

Generally, if you want to compile things that rely on other packages,
you will need both the package rpm and the "package-devel" rpm. The
non-devel rpm is the stuff for running the app(s). The devel rpm holds
the header files that are used when compiling things which look for
that package: so if you intend just to use things and not compile
things yourself, you don't need devel rpms. If you expect to compile
things, you will need them.

Telsa