[techtalk] warm/fuzzy alternatives to outlook?

Caitlyn Máire Maritn caitlyn at netferrets.net
Fri May 5 13:44:47 EST 2000

Hi, Christian, and everyone else,

> The huge company i work for was unaffected by the virus - thanx to our "No
> Outlook" policy.  We use Eudora  :)

Actually, anything with a MAPI client could send on that virus, so Eudora
was not immune.  What it would not do is forward it on to your whole address
book the way Outlook did.  Still, we did have it spread through GroupWise at
work.  The good news is that we ran an item purge through GWFix on our post
offices and preemptively killed the
virus out of as many mailboxes as possible.

At my last job we actually used a Netscape based solution.  LDAP Server,
calendar server, and then some nice ordinary *NIX stuff for the rest.  The
nice thing about Netscape Messenger (one of the few) and their calendar is
that not only do they support IMAP and multiple accounts, but they also
support a wide variety of platforms.  We had it running on Solaris boxes,
BSDI boxes, and of course, the various flavors of Windows.  Personally, I
that the way it freezes up at times in the Linux version, particularly if
Navigator is also open.  I got so frustrated with it that I am probably
going to fully migrate to KMail at home.

At work, well, I have three accounts, and for various reasons I have to use
a mix of Notes, GroupWise, and Outlook Express.  I'd like to drop that last
one into a black hole somewhere.

Regards,
Caity