[techtalk] warm/fuzzy alternatives to outlook?

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri May 5 10:54:38 EST 2000

On 04.05.00 at 17:55 Stephanie Alarcon wrote:

>> And if you can not disable, why do you use a mail system which is a
>> security problem ??? There are many Shareware and Commercialware
>> products which are Better as Outlook.
>
>actually, convincing our users to stop using outlook is an Ongoing Project
>at the office, and if you have suggestions for alternatives that will make
>average everyday users happy (they love the calendar), i would be
>thrilled...it would save me some time, aggravation and searching.  I'm
>an old-fashioned gal...i love my pine (done the lotus
>ntoes/netscape/outlook thing too) and am pretty oblivious to what else is
>out there, but try telling that to half the people in the office...they
>look like you're offering them cod liver oil.  btw, i tried the mailer
>inside star office 5.1 and gave up trying to configure it after about 10
>minutes of fruitless circular clicking.  if i got annoyed, users will be
>hopeless.

For my private email at work, I use Calypso - it's commercial, but I think you can get a trial version
that has adverts. It's quite nice and doesn't open attachments, has good filters and can do several user accounts.
I don't know about the calendar, though...

The URL from the About Box: http://www.mcsdallas.com

Britta