[grrltalk] RE: [techtalk] heads-up: M$ (e-mail) virus makingrounds.

Kathryn A. Rauss kar99002 at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Thu May 4 16:52:14 EST 2000

this seems to be hitting everyone...

i just got a message from my university computer center (University of
Connecticut) telling the entire university population that the School of
Business server has been affected and is down until further notice...but not
before the worm managed to send itself to about a thousand student and
faculty email addresses on that server...since there is a great deal of
interdepartmental email, not to mention student email, they are extremely
concerned that it will hit the school of engineering server or the college
of liberal arts and sciences, or maybe even the University's main server
(which would be VERY bad, indeed).

of course, they are just telling everyone (assuming as they do that MS is
what the entire campus uses, with the exception of those engineering geeks
who have a Unix lab!) to delete all "suspicious" attatchments and upgrade
their virus protection (the university has a license for Norton, plus free
updates)...i upgraded both of my antivirus programs so that I know Windows
is protected, but I feel great knowing that I don't have to worry about
Linux.

it'll be interesting to see how much further this one spreads....

katie

"The future belongs to those who can look at a challenge and see an
opportunity."

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/krauss

AOL IM Screen Name: Rower227