[techtalk] SpreadSheats, XSpread

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Mon Mar 27 16:37:04 EST 2000

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 08:44:55AM -0800, Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun wrote:
> On Mar 27, Tina Johnsson conjectured:
>
> > On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Shaun wrote:
> I installed Star Office 5 when I installed RedHat 6.  It came on one of
> the cd's.  WHen my machine was hacked, I didn't bother reinstalling it.

I personally do not like StarOffice.. for one thing it is under the SCSL
-- which I think is a License Sun designed to get in on the hype, and I
have yet to have a really great experience using it (I dislike the
interface, but then again, I dislike most GUI interfaces).

> Mainly because I never use it, and I decided I wanted to learn LaTeX.  My
> biggest problem with it was that it took ages to start up and used loads
> of my system resources.  I couldn't run both it and netscape at the same
> time.  (I use Gnome/E, and TOP shows them taking 27% of the mem as 'X'.
> I've got 128 MB swap.)  Now I need a spreadsheet/plotter app to do lab

Ugh, that's awful.  Anyway, I've got to hop in with my suggestion:
XSpread.  Its interface isn't pretty or anything like {MS|K|Star}Office;
it is more like Lotus123 from the DOS days.  Anyway, it has plenty of
features, and you can export the tables into LaTeX format.  However, I
haven't tried to make graphs or anything like that with it, so it might
not be terribly possible (then again, it might, like I said, I haven't
played with it yet).  However, if you need to do Spread Sheet
calculations, there isn't anything that is really better.

I also couldn't find the main homepage, however if you head on over to
http://www.google.com and search for `Xspread' you'll get plenty of hits
for your favorite distros package (and I think a few for source code).
--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt