[techtalk] SB Live! and SiS 5597 on linux

m d eyre4u at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:27:05 EST 2000

This is my first posting, so forgive me if this is a worn-out question.  Can
I get SB Live! to work under linux?  I'm using Redhat 6.0 on a Pentium.
Windows98 is also loaded.

I'm also having an annoying problem with the monitor in X.  If I run in
1024x768, I get a default bit depth of 8.  It won't let me choose any other.
  My card supports 8,16,24, and 32.  I've tried reordering and commenting
out the others in XF86Config, but then it won't run at all.  I have flicker
problems with this setting under X and Windows.  In Windows, if I use the
True Color depth (24 bits I think), everything is fine.  X won't let me do
it.  If this is some sort of linux problem, a lower resolution would be
fine.  I've tried this too,  and there's no flicker, but my screen is
squashed.  My monitor is a Panasonic C1381 (which I had to configure using
xf86config since it's old and only has a hsync rate of 30-37kHz) and my card
is SiS5597.

is there any help for either of these?

Michelle