Need Modem Recommendation

Kir Kolyshkin kir at sgp.sever.ru
Thu Mar 16 09:29:44 EST 2000

Well, I personally own 3Com (USRobotics) Courier, which costs about
$170, and I
find it the best possible modem available for under $200. It has a flash
memory
and our Russian hackers (not to mix with crackers!) do their own flash
upgrades
for that modems which adds even more features and controls. So using
Courier
and Russian flash (http://www.usr.spb.ru - sorry but I think it's all in
Russian) I can get the most out of my not-so-perfect modem line and PBX.
I can
even control how 'busy' and 'dialtone' signals from PBX are being
detected. I
can _hear_ retrains and reconnects, I can increase/decrease input and
output
level, I can see caller's ID and so on.

But in case your line and PBX are just fine you can try some Taiwan
external
modem like Acorp-56EMS, which is cheap (maybe about $50, can't remember
exactly
- see it on pricewatch.com) but still not bad.

As for internal/external choice I strongly recommend external because it
gives
you much more information on what's going on. You just take a glance on
that
lights and see that everything is OK and your modem do (or don't do) its
best
to achieve the highest possible speed...

--
|< ()  http://kir.sever.net kir at sgp.sever.ru kir at sever.net ICQ 7551596
() |_   Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house!