Need Modem Recommendation

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Wed Mar 15 10:41:36 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:02:34 -0500 (EST), "Becky L. Norum" <bnorum at coe.neu.edu> said:

>Hey--- I need to purchase a modem, preferably 56K.  I don't need
>anything fancy, just something that will work on Win and Linux.  I
>was very suprised in shopping at the local computer superstores that
>externals started at about $150 US dollars, which is a definitely
>more than I am able to spend.  Under $80 would be ideal.  So I am
>looking for recommendations for cheaper externals or an internal for
>which linux drivers exist.  What do you use?

Virtually any modem with an Hayes (AT) command set will work with
Linux for data communications.  The complexities come when you try to
do voice or fax as well, but if you're only looking to spend around
$80 you won't be looking for a voice-capable modem.  Avoid WinModems
like the plague, of course.

Kelly