[techtalk] fstab query.

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Mar 6 11:57:09 EST 2000

On Mar 6, aaron conjectured:

> Change msdos to vfat in the fstab.  Line 4 is probably the filesystem
> type that it's complaining about.  I don't believe "auto" is valid.

According to a message from Feb 16, from K-H Zimmer, it is.  I'd cut and
paste, but that's a pain in pine.

However, man mount gives this:
The  type  iso9660 is the default.  If no -t option
              is given, or if the auto  type  is  specified,  the
              superblock   is  probed  for  the  filesystem  type
              (minix, ext, ext2, xiafs, iso9660, romfs  are  sup-
              ported).

I just want my floppy drive to read my dos formatted floppies without
yelling about it.  Yeah, mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 works, but it's a pain.

> The vfat option mentioned above assumes you have vfat support in your
> kernel.  Do a cat /proc/filesystems to see if it is supported.

When it had vfat as the fstype, it didn't list any of the directories with
long filenames.  At all.  None.  c:\program files wasn't there.  So i
switched it back to msdos, got all the filenames back, thought truncated,
and moved on.

/proc/filesystems:
	ext2
	msdos
	vfat
nodev	proc
nodev	nfs
	iso9660
nodev	autofs
nodev	devpts

Conni

--
Entropy:  It's not just a good idea; it's the law.

http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/Galadriel