[techtalk] Bandwidth management (was: Dual Boot)

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 11:36:40 EST 2000

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:53:02PM +1100 or thereabouts, Jenn V. wrote:
> Sriram-HO wrote:
> >
> > Is there any bandwidth management software for Linux available? Something
> > like Floodgate?
>
> Not sure - I do know that Dancer is constantly tweaking
> /something/ to ensure that large downloads don't interfere
> with someone MUSHing...

We have it the other way round. MUSHing is supposed not to interfere
with large transfers (ahem). I wasn't the one who implemented this
so I'm not clear on the details.

At the time, I think we were using something called 'traffic shaper'
or 'shaper', but I think I've heard that that's deprecated now in favour
of something called CBQ: class-based queuing. The home page with the
CBQ technical info is at http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/floyd/cbq.html but
it gives little help for Linux. I think it's a case of having the
right kernel options on, for a start. I don't understand it at all.
I hope someone else does. It looks a little over my head, though.
It might be something to look at, unless anyone has any simpler,
friendlier (:-)) suggestions (in which case, I am all ears).

> (we share a 28.8. It matters.)

Know the feeling! 2.5kb/sec makes you very selective about turning
graphics on with a browser :)

Telsa