[techtalk] Problem with LILO & booting

Shirrell shirrell at pstat.com
Wed Mar 1 12:18:23 EST 2000

I had the same problem trying to install linux on an external
drive on a PC running NT when I tried to install for a dual boot
with lilo -- the 01 01 screen was a result of overwriting my
master boot record.  I don't recall the exact fix (the first time
I reinstalled NT) but I believe that you can boot DOS from a floppy
and then run fdisk -- unfortunately I can't remember the
correct parameters and I can't find my notes but it may have
been something link /mbr

This rewrites the master boot record -- then you must reinstall
lilo to do the dual boot.   With an external SCSI drive for my
linux I have given up trying the dual boot root and boot from
a floppy -- what a drag.

Hope this helps,
Shirrell
sb at pstat.