[techtalk] Problem with LILO & booting

Sally_Hutchinson at dell.com Sally_Hutchinson at dell.com
Wed Mar 1 09:24:37 EST 2000

Jeff wrote:

>If you have a spare partition on your first disk, you might try installing
>Linux there (even if it's only enough to boot the system) and putting all
of
>your data on the second disk (after the kernel is booted, the BIOS isn't
used
>any more, so there shouldn't be any trouble with that).

I am having a problem with a dualboot myself, but on a single hard drive.  I
believe the problem may be that the Linux partition is too close to the end
of the disk.  In any case, I can't boot Linux without the boot disk, and
when I do, "starting linux" it takes about 10 minutes for all the dots to go
across the screen.  Any hints on how to speed up my boot?  Or on how to boot
without the disk?  (Other than delete the 4 gigs of mp3's off my windows
partition and move the linux partition closer to the top ;p)

Thanks,
Sally