[techtalk] RPM

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Thu Jun 29 11:16:26 EST 2000

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 08:22:54PM -0400, Lilly S. wrote:
> I downloaded a package, and I think i didn't uninstall it properly. I want
> to reinstall it now, but for some reason whenever I try to use rpm, I'm
> told that the package is installed. But when I do a rpm -q, it says it's
> not installed.
>
> huh? I'm confused.
>
> Can someone shed some light on this?

I'm not sure how you managed to get to this state, but one way to begin fixing
it is
	rpm --rebuilddb

which rebuilds the database. This way, if the package really is uninstalled,
then the database will recognise it. However, I thought rpm -q used the
database to determine if it was installed. The nice thing is that a random rpm
--rebuilddb will not harm your system, so the worst that can happen is nothing
will change.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au