[techtalk] simple html/javascript problem?

joey tsai joeytsai at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 26 16:25:56 EST 2000

Hi, I've had this problem for a bit and it's driving me crazy.

I'm the webmaster and designer for my church's webpage, atlantanewhope.org.
Now, here's the deal - the page displays fine under Netscape and Explorer,
but looks all ugly under two browsers - Mozilla, and IE for Mac.  Now, as I
understand it, these two browsers are the most standards-complaint browsers
around, so I'm assuming there's a problem with my HTML and/or Javascript.
But I haven't the slightest idea what - the HTML and JS I use is very
simple (it IS just a church webpage) and it looks okay with the online
validators as well as the other sites that check your html for you.

If you go to the website (atlantanewhope.org/about) there's two main things
that don't render right: (1) to move between areas there are buttons
(about/info/features) with mouseovers.  Now, it looks okay in all browsers,
but in IE/Mac and Mozilla it slows the whole system to a crawl and utlizies
near 100% CPU.  It works fine in Netscapes and IE/Win though.  The
replacement image for the mouseover is an animated gif, and that seems to
be the only reason why it doesn't work.  (2) For the content on each page,
the text is framed by a few pictures of lines so it looks nice and neat.
Again, this looks great everywhere except with Moz.  The pictures display
outside their table cells and just look like a mess.  When you see it,
you'll understand what I'm talking about.

So, does anyone know of a solution so the webpage can look right under all
browsers?  Or has anyone run into this before?  Is there anything wrong
with my table elements and javascript mouseovers?  Thanks,

    // jt