[techtalk] Pg.pm and variables

Aaron Malone aaron at mancala.semo.net
Thu Jun 22 18:26:03 EST 2000

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 07:12:38PM -0400, Lilly S. wrote:
> Configuring Pg
> Remember to actually read the README file !
> please set environment variables POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB !
[snip]
> Aha... I'm supposed to define something. I found where my include and
> libraries are. They're at /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so and
> /usr/local/pgsql/include/libpq-fe.h
>
> Where do I define these variables?

It's wanting environment variables, not Perl variables -- that's what
the array ENV holds in Perl.

if you're using bash or a similar shell, you can set environment
variables like "export FOO=bar".  In csh and variants, it would be
"setenv FOO bar" (I think, it's been a while since I used csh).

So in your case, you'd need to (assuming you're using bash):

export POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/local/pgsql/include
export POSTGRES_LIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib

before processing Makefile.pl.

--
Aaron Malone (aaron at semo.net)
System Administrator                  "Of course I'm crazy, but that