[techtalk] Can I change my mind now??

Fan, Laurel Laurel.Fan at compaq.com
Thu Jun 22 10:32:46 EST 2000

Stewart Larsen, slarsen at mpinet.net, said:
> to start X later, type startx at the command line.
> pretty sure you have to do that as root, though I may be wrong.

No, you do not have to be root, unless Mandrake is really strange,
(or the config is messed up, but the fact that you have working
X sort of leads me to conclude that this is not the case).
Actually, I'd highly discourage startx-ing as root, since you'll
be root while doing stuff in X, and you don't want to do this
(and being root in X might be a bit worse than in a shell, since
you don't have the #-prompt to remind you).

On the other hand, if you want to start xdm (X display manager,
I think; anyway, the thing that does the start-X-automatically),
you do have to be root.