[techtalk] RE: don't beat me up

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at mail.veinc.com
Tue Jun 20 11:22:00 EST 2000

Wirren-

I wouldn't try this as a real method for opening peoples boxes; you also
probably already know it, as it's in most FAQs and I'm sure has been
discussed on this list before.  But here goes, just in case...

Go to one of the admin's linux boxes, if you have physical access to the
machine, when they're not around.  Load the Linux OS in single user mode (on
RHL 6.x standard install, you do this by typing "linux single" at the LILO
prompt.  You can also boot to a floppy, mount the system in read/write mode,
then change the default runlevel to 2).  Once in single user mode, if you
just type "passwd" you will be changing the password for the root (it will
prompt you).  Again, in RHL you can then type "exit" to go back to runlevel
3.  Otherwise, just reboot and login as root. Then you can create an account
for yourself.  Chances are, when these guys realize the password doesn't
work, they'll know how to change it back to what they want, but they MAY not
think to check for a new account, or they may not care, again since they
gave you permission to attack the box.  This is a long shot, but what the
hell...they DID give you permission (though this isn't a "hack")...;-)

Once you have a user account, go silly...

A NOTE FOR ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS A SECURITY HOLE:  It's not.  It's not a
"bug" or anything like that.   It's built into the OS becuase most people
realize that if someone has physical access to a machine, then security
becomes somewhat irrelevant. (At that point you could unplug it, remove the
hard drive, etc)  So don't worry =-)

Good luck-

Brian